Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Turning 30

I turned 30 this month. It's really surreal, because I don't feel like I should be 30. I feel like I just turned 26. This birthday was a lot different than when I turned 20. For my 20th, my roommate had a surprise party for me in our Dorm Room and my biggest concern was whether I should still play in the teen rooms on pogo or move to the 20s room. Seriously, that was a big concern. Now I don't have time for pogo.

So, in honor of my 30th birthday, I'm going to give you 30 things.

5 Facts about Me
1. I was scared to death about having kids and didn't know if I wanted to. I'm so glad I did, because she is the most amazing person
2. I'm lefthanded and ambidextrous people annoy me. They're all like "oh you're lefthanded, I'm ambidextrous!" Shut up and get away from me. Did you ever have to fight for a busted up paid of lefty scissors in elementary school? No, because there were an abundant supply of righty scissors, which you could use with your right hand! Did you ever have trouble using a desk because it is designed for right handed people?  No, because you can use it right handed! So, please, ambidextrous people of the world, stop pretending you know the plight of the lefthanded person, because you don't. You'll never be as cool as us, anyways.
3. I love, love, Love Halloween. I love ghost stories and haunted houses and pumpkins and costumes and all that jazz. I'm taking my Girl Scouts haunted housing this year and cant wait to see them freak out! 
4. I love to travel. I've been to 19ish US states and to England. I love history trips. I really want to go to Boston and Salem. My husband is pretty boring and doesn't want to go. Poo on him. 
5. I have an insane weakness for stray animals. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats- all of them rescues. It started with Chance. He belonged to a guy who was living with my husband's pap-pap. When Chance was about to get evicted because he kept fighting with Pap-Pap's docile, gigantic Alaskan Malamute, I took him home. Pap-Pap was concerned that Chance, coming from a FIVE (yes, you read that right) dog home, would be lonely. So I went to the local animal shelter and brought Narnia home. I liked her because she has a sixth toe and because she's crazy. Then, I was doing in home behavioral therapy with kids and one client's cat had kittens. This boy was known to kill the past litters, so I chose the little black female and took Onyx home. I really thought I was done with those 3. My husband said that we were done and that he'd leave if I brought another living thing home. (I also rescued a listless Betta fish from an inch of water at Wal-Mart.) Then a stray gray kitten showed up at my brother's house next door. She was so sweet and cuddly. My brother was going to keep her, but she kept getting around his feet and he is visually-impaired and kept tripping over her. He told my mom to take her to the SPCA. I cried that they'd kill her, and my Mom the manipulator (who liked the cat, too) offered to pay for her to get spayed if I kept her. With that, Ruby came home. I love Ruby, but she's my wildchild.

Hopes I have for the next year

6. I'd really like to get my craft business up and running. I have a lot of things that almost feel pipe dreamy to me. I did, however, open an Etsy store. Now i just have to sell something.
7. As much as I thought I'd never do it, I'd like to get involved with a direct sales company. I have a couple in mind, now I have to get past my own anxiety and take the plunge.
8. I'd really like it if my husband and I could get started on some home renovation by my 31st year!
9. I'd love to downsize my junk. I have a whole basement full of stuff that needs sorted. It's just difficult because I have the attention span of a turnip and a 2 year old.
10. I want to take a family vacation! Just the 3 of us. My husband and I have gone away together (Hershey, PA) and my Mom and the Baby and I have gone (Louisville, KY) but my husband, Baby and I have never gone away by ourselves.

(Do you know 30 things is a lot?)

Things that I think are helpful

11. I keep deodorant, toothpaste/brush and a comb in my desk at work. I'm not a morning person, so getting myself and Baby ready usually leaves me forgetting something.
12. I try to keep extra diapers and a change of clothes in my car for accidents. It doesn't help when my husband cleans out my car and takes them inside.
13. Duct tape fixes anything in a pinch. Including a broken underwire that is poking you in the boob.
14. Power cleaning is the way to go. I hate cleaning and my attention span gets me in trouble. So, I set the timer for 15 minutes and clean like crazy. Then I stop and give in to my distractions. Sometimes I have to spend more time, but this works pretty well.
15. I hate getting out of bed in the morning (especially in the winter when it's still dark outside), so I get my clothes (and Aly's) ready the night before. It usually scores me an extra 10 minutes of zZzZs!

Goals
I'm a professional goal setter, but have very few actual goals for myself. So here are 5 things that I want to do by October 3, 2014 (the day before my 31st birthday).

16. I want to be pregnant or have another baby. I'm not getting any younger and I don't want to wait so long now that I miss out on things later. I used to always get angry with my mom for waiting til she was 34 to have me, because she wasn't "fun" like she was when she had my brother at 19. She pointed out that she was more financially stable, so I got to do more than my brother. The grass is greener, I suppose.
17. I want to learn how to make metal stamped jewelery
18. I want to take some kind of class. I feel like my brain is turning to goo, because I don't exercise it.
19. I want to put my daughter in some kind of activity- either daycare once a week, or dance or gymnastics or something so she can play with kids her own age.
20. I want to make a new friend. It's really hard to make friends the older you get and I'm usually so burned out that I don't want to interact with people, but then I'm lonely. Quite the conundrum, if you ask me. (Friendship will be classified by social interaction outside of facebook. Also, being able to reach the person in a way besides facebook.)

Places I want to visit
I love to travel (as state earlier) and here are 10 places I'd like to see

21. Mardi Gras, preferably shirt on.
22. Ground Zero. I'd also like to go to the Pennsylvania memorial. It's only about an 1.5 hours away from me, but I've never been there.
23. Boston and Salem, MA. I'm a history nut.
24. The Columbus Zoo. They have Pandas, yo!
25. Ireland. My family is Irish and I'd love to kiss the Blarney Stone!
26. The Mutter Museum in Philadelphia. I love weird stuff.
27. Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I found the records from Ellis Island where my great-grandmother came over from Italy at the age of 19.
28. Las Vegas. I'm not a gambler, but I love shows!
29. Hollywood (and sites around LA).
30. Paris. Although I'm not comfortable traveling somewhere where I can't speak the language, I'd really love to see it!

So, what's a random fact about you?

3 comments:

Amy McMean said...

I have a tendency to read the last page of a book first.

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

Love, love, love your list! Here's something random about me: I count stairs, every single time I go up or down. Every. Single. Time.

Hope you had a very happy birthday!

Kathy said...

Wow, that is a great list! I'm not sure I could think of 30 interesting things to say about myself. Here's one though - I am a voracious reader and ALWAYS have some sort of reading material on me. Seriously, ask me any day, any time for a peek in my bag and you will find at least a book and maybe a magazine too. I'm naked without it.